Please don’t be.
Here are top 8 questions that you need to ask yourself before you start getting desperate, frustrated, and paranoid about being at the top of the SERPS.
1. The keywords that you wish to rank for; Are they the most important keywords for your business?
2. Are these keywords generic or are they more specific in nature?
3. Are your customers spread across the world or do you cater to specific geographic locations?
4. Do you want to use SEO to generate a few quick leads? If yes, have you tried PPC (Pay Per Click) ads on Google and Yahoo! http://seo-bestpractices.com/internet-marketing-2/seo-ppc-and-other-online-marketing-strategies-so-where-do-all-these-merge/
5. Are you utilizing your USP in your promotional campaigns online?
6. Do you have a Facebook page for your products and services?
7. Do you have a Web Analytics account that provides you traffic details for your website?
8. Do you have a webmaster account for Google and Bing?
These questions will help you arrive at answers that will help you chalk out a relevant plan for your website’s Search Engine Optimization. There are many ways of reaching the top; the only solution cannot be by ranking for very competitive keywords. Each business has its own goals, and creating a step by step plan will help you get there.